This breed was first seen in France in the 1920s and is easily recognized by its short, upright, thick fur. Because the guard hairs are the same length as the under hair, the coat looks and feels like velvet. The Rex has been crossed with many other breeds, so we are now seeing Chinchilla Rex, Rex Dalmation, Rex Tortoiseshell and so on.
- Varieties: Black, Blue, Black Otter, Broken (Includes Tricolor), Californian, Castor, Chinchilla, Chocolate, Lilac, Lynx, Opal, Red, Sable, Seal, White
- Weight: Males: 7-9.5lbs; Females: 8-10lbs
- Physical Attributes: Large breed with upright ears. Fur feels live velvet.
- Personality: Friendly, not particularly active, quite happy to play and sit on your lap.
- Coat Type and Grooming: Short and very plush, thick and feels like velvet. No need to groom, simply moisten hands with water and run over the rabbits coat backwards to remove loose hair and static.